Positionality Statement

I am a white, Welsh (British), cis, heterosexual, male. I do not have a disability. I recognise the knowledge and insights that these positions give me but, also, that this is a limited and partial world view. Through this course, I aim to extend my understanding of how to capitalise on the notion that the diverse cohorts of learners I work with are constituents of a powerful community of creatives, with an equal stake in an incredible human and intellectual resource – a concept articulated by Dr Gurnam Singh, who stresses ‘the importance of non-hierarchical dialogue and exchange to  develop critical consciousness, to connect ideas to lived experience…’

My own education (particularly art and culture at FE and HE level) was quite limited in scope and centred on the Western European cannon. However, I recognise the limitations, hierarchies and the violence embedded in this cultural narrative. Through this course, I aim to understand how to further develop productive approaches to fostering an inclusive and questioning learning community, where, through critical debate, dialogue and exchange both students and staff can extend our knowledge, empathy and sense of mindfulness to a wide range of lived experiences and world views. The notions of political pedagogy and politically engaged art practice are also important to me.

My personal circumstances have extended my insights into a range of other lived experiences than might be first assumed. Although I grew up in a Welsh, English-speaking, suburban community, I am a member of a largely Welsh-speaking, working-class family and am one of very few within the family to have gone to college/university. I am married with two children. My wife was born in Malaysia and to Malaysian/Indian and Indian parents. My children, therefore, have a rich Malaysian/Indian/Welsh/English heritage. This has also given us exposure to these different cultures, languages and religions (Sikh, Parsi, Anglican, Welsh Congregational).